It’s a 2-in-1 Recipe Post!! It’s almost Autumn & with the kids back in school, Cooler evenings, getting darker earlier, my house decorated (almost finished) for the season & Labor Day weekend over, it’s time to think Fall yummies!! This weekend for my hubby’s 44th Birthday celebration, I made his favorites: Pumpkin Pie & ice cream! In fact, it was a pumpkin ice cream!! Yummmm!!!! They were a hit with my family! Yay! Hope you enjoy these too!!
G-Free Pumpkin Pie
1 cup G-free all purpose flour
1 tsp xanthan gum (omit if using a flour with this included)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup Nutiva organic shortening
4 TBSPS ice water (I put cold water in a measuring glass cup with ice cubes in it)
- In Large bowl, stir flour, xanthan gum & salt together.
- Put in shortening & using a pastry blender, mix in until it resembles crumbs.
- Put in 2 TBSPS ice water, then mix with fork & then 2 more & mix again. It’ll be a sticky dough.
- Sprinkle g-free flour on clean counter & place dough in a ball on top of flour. Roll it out with rolling pin (sprinkle rolling pin with a little flour first).
- Grease pie plate with a little of the shortening.
- Place crust into pie plate.
-Just a note: I almost always have to piece together the crust into the pie plate as it falls apart usually (you know, being g-free & all). Don’t get discouraged! It still tastes the same! 😉
3/4 lb. firm tofu
30 oz. plain pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 TBSPS pure maple syrup
2 TBSPS molasses
3 TBSPS tapioca starch
- Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth, then pour into pie crust.
- Bake on 425° for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 350° & bake another 45 minutes.
- When pie is finished, check with knife through pie & if knife comes out clean, it’s done. If not, keep baking for 3 minutes, then try 2 minutes & keep checking.
- Cool on wire rack until completely cooled then refrigerate.
- This pie always tastes better the next day, so prepare a day ahead if you can. The flavors meld together better.
Pumpkin Ice Cream:
1 can full fat organic coconut milk
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup organic pumpkin from can
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1.Place all ingredients in a blender & blend until all melded together.
2.Place blender in fridge for 4 hours.
3.Pour in frozen bowl in ice cream maker while running & make for 20 minutes.
4.Scoop out & enjoy!!!
These 2 served together made my hubby very happy for his birthday! They’re his favorites! Hope you enjoy them as well!!