So this is a soup I have loved making for years! My family loves it in the Fall & Winter when it gets a little chilly & we’re looking for a simple yet hearty & warm, soothing soup. I used to make a version I had in a cookbook & lost the book 😦 but have since started making my own. Tell me what you think.
1 TBSP olive oil
4 leeks, white & green parts, sliced (wash the leeks well, dirt can hide well in these)
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (14 oz. can) cannellini beans, drained
1 tsp fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried rosemary)
2 stalks celery, washed, sliced into thinly
2 tsps dried chives (or few stalks of fresh chives)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
sea salt to taste
* Shredded cheddar rice cheese (Daiya is the Best) for the topping: optional
- Heat olive oil in a pot.
- Saute the cleaned & sliced leeks for about 5 minutes & until tender.
- Add garlic & saute another minute or so.
- Add potatoes, celery & broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium & simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes, celery & leeks are quite tender.
- Add beans, rosemary, salt, pepper, chives & maybe even a little more broth.
- Using an immersion blender, or in small batches in a regular blender, then back into the pot, puree until smooth & creamy.
- Sprinkle the shredded rice cheese on top, if desired (Optional).
Cuddle up with a warm blanket by the fire with a nice hot bowl of soup. Maybe add a slice of homemade G-free bread? Enjoy!