Years ago, my aunt had a soup night at her house & we all made a soup & taste tested them. It was a fun potluck gathering in the middle of winter! It was a chance to catch up, be warm & cozy & try new recipes! We had a great time! This was a soup she made. I have made this vegan & g-free since, and my family loves it!! We serve it a few times a year. It’s so delicious! Let me know what you think.
2 medium onions
2 bags of Gardein Beefless ground
1 whole stick of soy free Earth Balance butter
12 cups of diced tomatoes (or you can use 6-15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, especially when tomatoes are no longer in season)
2-15 oz. bags of frozen corn, cooked
2-15 oz. cans of creamed corn
2-15 oz. cans pinto beans
2-15 oz. cans northern white beans
2-15 oz. cans black beans
6 Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning (see recipe below)
1/4 cup of homemade dry ranch dressing (see recipe below)
2 small cans of diced green chilies (mild)
*This will clear your sinuses, so great to eat when you’re under the weather & stuffed up. It is also so satisfying & very filling! This recipe makes a huge pot of soup, so you’ll have tons of leftovers for a family of 4 like mine.
Tortilla chips crumpled into pieces
Daiya cheddar cheese shreds
Tofu based sour cream
- Make up homemade taco seasoning & put aside (Jar any leftovers)
- Make homemade dry ranch dressing & put aside (Jar any leftovers)
- In a Large Pot, cook butter & onions, until onions are clear, soft & slightly browned.
- Add Smart ground & cook until unfrozen & slightly browned, approximately 7 minutes.
- Add cooked kernel corn, and canned items with the liquid as well from it (Do not drain).*You can use fresher beans, but they have to be cooked first & reserve all of the juices in the can or of the juices from the fresh that you cooked, into the cooking pot here.
- Add the 6 Tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning.
- Add the 1/4 cup of homemade dry ranch dressing.
- Add the 2 cans of small green chilies.
- Keep stirring often during the cooking process. After it cooks on medium heat for a few minutes, put on low to simmer for 1 hour.
- When it’s ready, pour into bowls or cups. Top with crumpled up tortilla chips & Daiya cheddar style cheese shreds. This is optional. It’ll taste like a taco in soup form! Yum!! You could also dollop with tofu sour cream if you want.
Homemade Taco Seasoning: (makes 1/2 cup)
2 1 /2 Tbspns chili powder
4 tspns Paprika
4 tspns ground cumin
3 tspns onion powder
3 tspns fine sea salt
3 tspns garlic powder
1/4 tspn cayenne pepper
Mix all of these ingredients together. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar & store in fridge.
Homemade Dry Ranch Dressing: (makes 1/2 cup)
4 Tbspns nutritional yeast
2 Tbspns dried parsley
1/2 Tbspn dried dill
1/2 Tbspn onion powder
1/2 Tbspn garlic powder
1/2 Tbspn minced onion flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried chives
- Pulse all of the ingredients in a food processor until it is a fine powder.
- Store in a sealed glass jar container & store in fridge.