I have been experimenting for awhile with some “bacon” recipes for breakfast & for different BLT type sandwiches. I am unable to eat tomatoes, due to heartburn issues, but you certainly can place them on the sandwich if you so desire. ; ) I have found the sauce to make just about anything into a bacon. You can use this recipe for tofu, eggplant, zucchini, and just about anything you wish to make “bacon” with, really! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family & I have.
“Bacon” flavoring recipe:
1 cup soy sauce
2 TBSPN vegan Worcestershire sauce (recipe to follow)
2 TBSPN Real maple syrup
2 TBSPN Bragg’s nutritional yeast
2 TBSPN liquid smoke
2 TBSPN coconut oil
I used 2 blocks of tofu, cut into strips, but have also used eggplant cut into thin strips.(Make sure to blot dry with paper towels, to take out the excess water content of tofu or veggies)
Vegan Worcestershire sauce recipe
1 cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup maple sugar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground dry mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Make the homemade Worcestershire sauce first. Mix everything together & heat in a saucepan, stirring often. When it comes to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the stove and cool for 10 minutes.
- While the Worcestershire sauce is cooling, in a separate bowl, stir the “bacon” ingredients together & when the Worcestershire sauce is ready (it will still be warm — that’s ok), measure out 2 TBSPN and stir that in to bacon flavoring recipe.
- Soak the cut & blotted dry tofu or eggplant or other veggie strips & marinate them for an hour or better yet, overnight, in the fridge with cover.
- Store the rest of the Worcestershire sauce for another time.
- When ready, saute on a griddle or fry pan on medium heat with coconut or olive oil, loosening often with a spatula, so it doesn’t stick to pan. Cook on each side for approximately 3 minutes, until browned.
- Place on the side as a “Bacon” for breakfast or place on toasted bread of choice with lettuce & tomato along with veganaise or perhaps guacamole! It is a delicious lunch!
Enjoy!! How do you like your vegan bacon?