I LOVE CRAFTING!!! I had these faux Styrofoam pumpkins from the dollar store from last year & they were way too orange-y and I like the Cottage/Farmhouse look, so I decided to paint them & make them more that style. I only needed the materials I had on hand in the house to give them a different look.
Faux Styrofoam pumpkins from the dollar store
gray paint (or mix the white & black to make gray)
varying sizes of paint brushes
paper plate to put paint on
cups of water (to rinse in between & to water down paint at times)
newspaper or other material that can get paint on it to protect surface
- Prepare your surface & gather all materials. Put water in cups for rinsing in between. Wear paint clothes.
- Paint with a bigger brush — white all over most of the pumpkin, except the bottom. Ans some in gray, if you wish, (I did 2 in white & 2 in gray). Let dry.
- After ten minutes, paint bottom. Let dry.
- In creases, paint with watered down gray or brown & wipe away lightly.
- Any touch ups?
- Put pumpkins outside on newspaper or in a deep sink & dip large craft paintbrush in black & fan out to splatter specks on pumpkins (not too much). Be careful not to get paint everywhere.
- Dry for ten minutes.
- Paint stems on pumpkins black or brown.
- Any touch ups? After they dried for about an hour or so, they are ready to be placed where you want them. Check to make sure they’re dry.