I made this cake for my son’s birthday and it was moist, delicious, chocolate heaven! Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients for cake:
Butter & cocoa powder for pans, for dusting
3 cups all purpose gluten free flour with xanthan gum
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 cups organic cacao powder, unsweetened
1 Tbspn baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbspns white vinegar
1 1/2 cups hot coffee (brewed ahead of time- I like Green Mountain)
1/2 cup coconut or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Ingredients for chocolate cream cheese frosting:
3 sticks salted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tspns vanilla extract
7 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
Directions for cake:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and dust cake pans with cocoa powder. You will need two 9″ cake pans & one 8″ cake pan.
*Combine heavy cream with vinegar & allow to curdle. Set aside.
2) In a bowl, in a stand mixer, on low speed, mix together: flour, sugars, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, until combined.
**Crack eggs into a small bowl, then add to mixing bowl (so it’s easier to add to the mixer),
3) Add eggs**, curdled heavy cream & vinegar mixture*, hot coffee (adding slowly & a little at a time as not to scramble the eggs in the mix), oil, vanilla & almond extracts. Beat together on medium speed until smooth. Mix for 2-3 minutes.
4) Pour batter evenly into cake pans, about 3/4 of the way full.
5) Bake for 30-33 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean (check the center).
6) When finished baking, cool in pans for 15 minutes, then on wire racks until completely cooled.
7) Frost your cake! Place first 9″ layer upside down on cake platter & frost the top, place the next 9″ layer on top & frost the top. Place the last 8″ layer on top & frost the rest of the cake as a whole.
***Tip: Sprinkle the entire cake with slivered almonds. It looks pretty & adds another depth of flavor & bite.
Directions for chocolate cream cheese frosting:
1) In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer: softened butter, and cream cheese until fluffy.
2) Add in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
3) Beat in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. It gets tougher & thicker with each addition.
4) Add almond milk to make a spreadable consistency. The frosting should be thick & creamy. Frost cake right away. It should spread very well.
Refrigerate any frosting leftovers. It’ll last for up to a week. It will thicken more in refrigerator.
Hoping you enjoy this delicious cake. The frosting for me is what elevates this yummy cake! I could eat the frosting in the bowl with a spoon! 🎂
2 Comments Add yours
Looks Delicious! I love the slivered almond idea! I hope your son had a great birthday!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Paul! You could also put chocolate curls using a vegetable peeler, on the cake as well, to make it even prettier, if you wanted too He did! Thanks!