These moist and delicious mini donuts are a little bit of heaven and difficult to stop eating. I made these a few weeks ago for breakfast and they were such a treat with other breakfast items & a lovely tea or coffee. They’re also lovely again as a mid- morning treat, or as my husband calls it, ” second breakfast” with tea. These delightful little goodies are good for a few days, especially stored in the fridge (if they last that long!) 😉
It’s truly yummy made with homemade applesauce. I have a great recipe for homemade applesauce in my cookbook, ” Plant Based Living for the Gluten Free Cook”. It’s a recipe from my husband’s childhood in Home Economics class. We still make it every Fall to this day! Of course, you can also use a jarred store bought applesauce as well.
1/2 cup grass fed butter
1 cup sugar substitute
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup applesauce with cinnamon (I make mine homemade)
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar substitute
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease mini muffin tins (use 2-3 mini muffin pans) with coconut oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl & a hand mixer, beat together butter & sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, vanilla & applesauce until well incorporated.
- Gradually stir in the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Fill in the mini muffin cups until almost the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from tin. While the muffins are cooling, melt butter. Set aside. Mix sugar & cinnamon topping mix in a small bowl. Set aside. When the muffins are out of the pans, dip the muffins in melted butter, then dip in cinnamon/sugar mixture. Place on a serving platter. Serve warm.