I get a lovely extended weekend day today as my husband is home and we are enjoying a day with our son, as the weather was rough last night and he just needed a “me” day and lots of rest. So, my husband, son and I have been enjoying a day of rest and games, a big breakfast – with cartoons (yes, we all still love cartoons, even though we’re all adults), writing and reading, even some deep cleaning here and there. It’s very important to stay safe and healthy & find joy in having time together, as often as we can.
This morning, being the first to wake, I made a lovely breakfast quick bread & a pie for this evening after dinner. It was a pie recipe that my children and I created when they were little. I decided to bake it as it’s been many years since I’ve baked it last. It comes with very happy memories! It was created during a summer vacation when they were in elementary and middle school. I smiled when I came across the recipe this morning labeled, ” Dreams come True” Pie. The kids had named it that. I don’t remember why, but I loved when they would very happily name a creation so sweetly. The aromas that filled the kitchen made the house smell decadent and like a fancy patisserie!
When my guys awoke (well, I had to wake my son, lol), we had a nice breakfast while watching cartoons, snuggled on the sofa, while the pie was baking. I wish all my Mondays could be this lovely! Hope you all have a Magnificent day and a Fabulous week!! Hope you enjoy our pie recipe! ☺️🥧 And remember, you’re never too old to watch cartoons, play games and hang together!
Dreams Come True Pie:
Ingredients for crust:
1 cup Gluten Free flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegan shortening (I like Nutiva)
4 Tbsps ice water
Directions for crust:
- Grease a small pie pan with butter. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix flour and salt together. With a pastry blender or fork, blend in the shortening.
- Scoop in the iced water, a tablespoon, at a time. Make sure all blended well, until it resembles coarse crumbs and is blended together.
- Put down a sheet of wax paper. Bunch together the dough and work together kneading it lightly until in a ball and holds together well, then place on waxed paper and place another wax paper on top and with rolling pin, push down gently and make sure with hands it holds together, then start rolling out. Place a greased pie pan (using grass fed butter), upside down over to measure if there is enough crust dough and extra for the edges. When satisfied with the size, pull off top waxed paper and place pie plate upside down again over rolled out crust and scooping with hands the under side of crust, flip the pie pan and crust, until the crust is inside the pan well. Throw away waxed paper pieces.
- Push down and make sure everything lines up well with crust and prepare edges as you’d like I prefer the pinch method to create a nice edge (pinch with thumb and pointer finger outer knuckle). Set crust aside.
Pie Filling Ingredients:
2 cups of Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate mini chips
6 blocks bittersweet baking chocolate
1 cup frozen mini blueberries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp granular sugar substitute or granulated sugar
some extra blueberries to sprinkle on top
Directions for pie filling:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a double boiler pan on stove, melt the chocolate. Make sure the hot water on the bottom part doesn’t touch the top pan, as not to scorch the chocolate.
- While the chocolate is melting (using a rubber spatula to stir every now and then until melted completely), then place the blueberries in greased pie pan. Sprinkle to cinnamon, then the sugar on top of the blueberries. When chocolate melted, pour on top of blueberries. Smooth out the top.
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 30-35 minutes. Crust will be a light golden brown and chocolate will be shiny on top.
- Sprinkle more blueberries on top. Cool on cooling rack until cooled almost completely. Serve warm or place in fridge and serve when desired later. Store in fridge.
And a bit of Monday randomness … Introducing, Gracie!! ⬇️
My Mother’s dog, Gracie. She has the Monday Blues. I love my weekly photos of Gracie!
2 Comments Add yours
Dreams really do come true with this pie!! So delicious!!!
Awww, you’re the sweetest husband ever!! I’m so glad you liked it! ❤️❤️🥰🥰