This past weekend was nice and relaxing and full of yummy food. We’ve been trying some new foods, trying out some new recipes and enjoying some theme weeks past couple of weeks. Last week was Southern foods and this week we’ve been enjoying German foods. Last night we enjoyed Schnitzel, but it was a vegan Schnitzel, along with sauteed cabbage, roasted potatoes, and pickled beets. Dessert was German bundt cake with a coconut pecan topping.
We’ve really been enjoying learning about different types of foods and different cultures through food and music. We used to do that a lot when our children were young, and they were some of our favorite meals. It’s so nice to do this again!! We’re thinking about what we want this next week for meals. So many amazing foods out there!!
German Chocolate Bundt Cake :
Ingredients for the cake:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 cup organic cacao powder
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup vegan heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Ingredients for Coconut pecan topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar substitute
1/2 cup granulated sugar substitute
1/2 cup grass fed butter
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a bundt cake pan with coconut oil spray generously and set aside.
- Measure out the almond milk, heavy cream and vinegar, stir slightly and set aside. This is your vegan buttermilk.
- Melt coconut oil and cool by setting aside.
- Whisk together in a bowl: sugar, flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together, eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula. Pour in the boiling water and stir with the spatula. Pour batter into the bundt cake pan. Bake for 35-38 minutes, when toothpick comes out clean after checking doneness.
- Cool cake on cooling rack in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer cake out of pan to rack until completely cooled for about a half hour.
- Heat in a saucepan, the brown and granulated sugar substitutes, butter, egg yolks, and coconut milk on medium heat until it boils, then cook while stirring constantly for about 7 minutes. Take off stove. Stir in vanilla extract, pecans and coconut flakes. Apply on top of cake.
Have a Wonderful week everyone!! Have any ideas for theme weeks for my weekly menu? I’d love to hear some ideas! Thanks! ☺️
2 Comments Add yours
I’ve never had schnitzel before, and I didn’t know what to expect from this vegan alternative, but it was delicious! It goes without saying that the chocolate cake was Amazing! I’m enjoying trying new foods and exploring other cultures!
LikeLiked by 1 person
YAY!! Glad you liked it!! I’m loving trying new foods too!! ☺️
LikeLiked by 1 person