Welcome November! I’m watching the last of the Autumn leaves falling, a slight drizzle tinkling down, a soft breeze blowing in the open windows and enjoying the last of the mild temperatures. I took a day to rest and enjoy the day after a busy weekend and crazy week last week.
Over the weekend, I baked an apple pie. It was delicious and a lovely way to celebrate leaving October behind and begin a new month (and practice for Thanksgiving 😜🦃🥧). The gluten free crust was a bit fragile and had to be pieced together, but yummy. Recipe below 👇
Last week and over the weekend, we were wrapping up our guest room redo and posted the video on our YouTube channel, Brambleberry Cottage (if you want to check out our channel & see how it turns out).
Gluten Free Apple Pie
Ingredients for gluten free crust:
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup margarine
5-7 Tbsps ice water
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut margarine into slices. Set aside. Place water in a glass bowl with ice cubes. Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. With a pastry blender, cut margarine into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture with ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time, while mixing lightly with a fork. Grease a 9″ pie plate with margarine.
3) Form dough into a ball. Sprinkle flour onto counter and on rolling pin. Split dough ball into 2 equal smaller balls of dough. Roll out one dough ball and place in pie plate. Wait for second dough ball. You can wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until it’s time to use top crust.
Ingredients for filling:
6 cups sliced and peeled apples, sliced thinly
3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
2 Tbsps gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1) In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Pour gently into pie plate with bottom crust.
2) Roll out second dough ball on the floured surface. Re-flour counter and rolling pin again if needed. Place that rolled out dough on top of pie filling, letting it slightly hang over the edges. Pinch with fingers to make a nice edging on pie. Cut some slits on top crust to avoid it spilling over.
3) Once oven is preheated, bake pie in oven for 40 minutes until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Serve warm alone or with dairy free whipped topping or ice cream. Enjoy!!