This is one of those recipes that I have to make in the Fall & Winter when I want a quick & comforting meal. I make it 2 different ways, depending on my mood. Here’s both versions listed on the main ingredient. For the “meat” part of the dish I either use lentils or a packaged g-free vegan smart ground, like “Gardein’s Beefless ground meat”. It’s delicious & I use it in many dishes! I like to use lentils a lot when I want to be a little healthier, but just takes a little bit more time.
2 cups lentils cooked with 2 vegetable bouillon cubes & water
or 2nd option: 2 packages of Gardein’s Beefless Ground Meat, cooked in olive oil & diced onions
Potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks to make:
mashed potatoes, with Earth Balance butter, tofu sour cream & some almond or soy milk, s & p (I also like to throw in some chives & garlic salt [2 tsps each] for a little extra flavor)
2 cans cream corn
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make your mashed potatoes by boiling for approximately 10 minutes & when they are soft with fork test & fall apart easily, take out of boiling water, drain, smash, then whip with a hand mixer & the almond or soy milk, butter, tofu sour cream, s & p, along with chives & garlic salt.
- While potatoes are boiling, make the lentils (2 cups lentils to 4 cups water & 2 vegetable bouillon cubes til tender-about 15 minutes).
- OR: saute the onions in olive oil until soft & clear & slightly browned , then add smart ground & saute together until cooked through & melded together.
- Grease a 13″ x 9″ pan with Earth Balance butter & pour in the lentils or smart ground, then layer with uncooked cans of cream corn, then top with the whipped potatoes.
- Dot potatoes with butter & s & p.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 20 minutes & the top is golden.
This is seriously so delicious! Hope you like it!!