This is a recipe my Beautiful Grandmother used to make & gave to me. Polenta is an Italian staple & you can make it simple or with different toppings. I serve it mostly with cannellini beans & butter or with various vegetables, with marinara sauce or with parmigiano cheese.
Here’s the basic recipe to begin with & add whatever you wish to it after!
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cold water
mix these 2 together in a bowl & set aside.
1 tsp. salt
3 cups boiling water
topping of choice: optional
- Boil 3 cups boiling water with 1 tsp salt.
- Add cornmeal mix that was set aside slowly to boiling water & salt mix.
- Whisk constantly over low heat for 20 minutes. When done, put in hunk of butter.
- If planning on doing a topping, cook while stirring constantly, so it’ll be ready when Polenta is done.
- Place whatever topping you wish on top.
Enjoy!! I double this recipe almost every time I make it, as I have a growing son, hungry husband & daughter to feed as well as myself. Serve with a salad on the side and/or g-free crusty bread! Yummy!
I love to make the polenta with a homemade pistachio pesto (make like a regular pesto recipe, but with pistachios (instead of walnuts) & vegan parmesan cheese). I also like to top with vegan zucchini parmesan bake & crispy beets on the side*
If having the second day, always reheat on stove top, with more butter & either a non-dairy milk, or water to rehydrate & smoothen, and salt & pepper. It’s always just as good as the first time you make it!!
Slice the red beets very thinly. Toss in bowl with olive oil & salt & pepper. Spread on baking sheet lined with parchment paper & bake in oven on 375° for 15 minutes or to desired crispiness.