HI there!! This past week was filled with lots of Fall cleaning, more decorating and baking. This past weekend, we celebrated my son’s 21st birthday!! We had such a wonderful time going to our local winery, listening to some great vocal & acoustic performances from the talented Andy Cavanaugh, and having a lovely takeout meal at home with our family & watching our son happily opening his birthday gifts! We had a fun weekend full of laughs, great conversations(as always), card playing, breakfast out on the back deck & absolutely GORGEOUS weather!! The temperature never reached about the mid-70’s and the sun was shining brightly, along with a pleasant cool breeze!! It was the perfect weekend to celebrate the greatest sons we could ever dream of!
Saturday, we enjoyed homemade lemon-poppy seed muffins and on Sunday, a bit of an English breakfast with eggs on toast, tempeh bacon, homemade baked beans (a recipe you can find in my cookbook, “Plant-Based Living for the Gluten Free Cook”), mixed fresh berries, tea & coffee.
Over the weekend, we played a bit of trivia (we love our games here!!) & discussed plans for the Fall garden. It was an eventful and fun weekend!!
Here’s the Lemon Poppy seed muffins recipe:
2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp coarse sea salt
1/4 cup Swerve granular sugar substitute, plus extra for topping
3/4 cup stevia
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 tsps lemon zest, plus extra for sprinkling on top (about 2 lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice (from the same 2 lemons)
1/4 cup almond milk, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted grass fed butter, melted and cooled
3 Tbsps poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 1 1/2 muffin tins (18 muffin cups) with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter. Set aside to cool. Measure out ingredients. Zest lemons. Juice lemons & place in small ramikins. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, sugar substitute & stevia, eggs, zest, lemon juice & almond milk. Whisk in the butter.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Stir the poppy seeds into the batter until just combined.
- With a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour the batter into muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes on cooling racks. While they’re cooling, brush some melted butter on tops & sprinkle with more stevia or granular sugar substitute. Top with extra lemon zest.
- After the 5 minutes, place on a serving dish & serve warm. These are delicious with orange juice or a tea.
Enjoy!! Hope you all had a Fabulous weekend as well!! Can you feel the Autumn in the air?
A Very Happy 21st Birthday to our son, Jacob!! We Love you and are so proud of the Wonderful man that you are!! ❤️🤗