Well, hello everyone! It’s been awhile and hope everyone is faring well. It’s been a pretty mild winter this year and I’m all for it!! I’ve been, along with my husband, renovating and filming for our YouTube channel and I’ve been missing the blog here, so I felt it was time to catch up and send you a recipe for a delicious cake that was made with a few gluten free flours, no eggs or dairy and a yummy frosting.
In the Winter, we tend to make a homemade soup once a week, and always have a big meal with a dessert on Sundays. There are certain comfy meals we have on rotation throughout the week or month. We always make homemade breads and/or biscuits often throughout each Fall & Winter month. One of our desserts after this Sunday meal was the vanilla cake recipe down below.
Hope you’re all enjoying the mild winter so far and staying cozy! Have a great weekend!!
Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Cake
1 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk with 1 Tbspn distilled white vinegar (vegan buttermilk)
1 2/3 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
1 Tbsp potato starch
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) plant based butter
1/2 cup Califia Farms better half (it’s a plant-based version of half and half)
1/2 cup dairy free heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp dairy free sour cream
2 Tbsp vanilla extract
Dairy Free Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients:
1 cup salted plant based butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp almond or coconut milk (if it starts to curdle or seems too liquid, add another 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar)
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease three 6″ round cake pans with coconut oil spray, and line them with parchment paper circles to the shape of the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
2)Prepare the buttermilk. Place plant based milk in a large measure glass and place the vinegar in with it, lightly stir and set aside.
3) Take out and measure out all of your ingredients. Set aside.
4) In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
5)In a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the plant based butter and sugar for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides. Add in the better half, whipping cream and dairy free sour cream along with the vanilla extract. Mix it altogether on medium speed until combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add in half the flour mixture, half the buttermilk and mix on medium speed til just combined, add in the other half of flour mix along with the last of the buttermilk as well until all combined. Don’t overmix. Scrape the bottom and sides of bowl with a rubber spatula.
6) Divide the batter between the three cake pans evenly, and bake for 28 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7)Take out plant based butter to room temperature for the frosting.
8) Place cakes still in their pans for 10 minutes on cooling racks. After the 10 minutes take out of the cake pans and continue to cool on cooling racks until completely cooled. When the cakes feels cool to the touch, prepare your buttercream.
Dairy Free Vanilla Buttercream:
1) Add plant based butter to a large bowl and with hand mixer, cream for 3 minutes.
2) Add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time (1 cup total). Beat until it’s a thick buttercream.
3) Add in vanilla extract and 2 Tbspn of powdered sugar. It should be thick and creamy. Add or subtract dairy free milk and powdered sugar until reach the consistency you like.
4) Frost bottom layer, place on second layer, and top with last layer of cake and frost top and sides. Serve and enjoy. It’s so soft and light! Yumminess!! 😃
2 Comments Add yours
Delicious cake! A perfect compliment to the amazing homemade soup you made!!!❤️
LikeLiked by 1 person
Aw, thanks Sweetie! ❤️🥰