I had my friend & Food Stylist for my new & upcoming cookbook, Rachel, over for a taste testing/business meeting last week & this was the dessert served. It was so decadent & delicious! It’s a Black Bean Brownie! I served it with homemade vanilla ice cream & homemade peanut butter caramel sauce (From a previous post). Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
3/4 cup cooked black beans (from a can)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 flax eggs (or 2 eggs)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup organic sugar
2 tsps brewed coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Enjoy Life mini vegan chocolate chips, divided (1/4 & another 1/4 cup)
1/3 cup g-free all purpose flour with xanthan gum added (or add 1/4 tsp gum to it)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar, for dusting on top after baked (optional)
Earth Balance butter, for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8″ x 8″ square baking pan with the butter.
- In a blender, puree the beans with the olive oil.
- Add the flax eggs or eggs, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and vanilla extract.
- Melt half of the chocolate chips & add to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum if not in flour already, baking powder & salt. Add this mix to the blender & pulse until all melded together.
- Stir in the other 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F & until the edges are pulled away from the pan, look matte & the center looks glossy, approximately 20-23 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes at least, before cutting into it.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar before serving if you want.
* I made these with eggs & without. The egg version comes out slightly richer & rises a bit more, but I prefer the flax eggs as I like to be vegan. You could also substitute 1 smooshed banana, as the egg, if you don’t mind a banana flavor in it.
This Recipe for the meeting was served with the homemade vanilla ice cream. It was so creamy! Here’s the recipe for that:
Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk
3/4 cup organic sugar
2 cups heavy cream (it will be creamier with this, but you could opt for the can of full fat coconut milk – whole can)
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients in a blender, then place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to make ice cream, pour into ice cream maker, while already spinning & make for 15 minutes.
Top this ice cream onto the brownie & add the peanut butter caramel sauce over it. Oh My Word! Delicious!! Enjoy!!