Hello there! Happy Tuesday all!! It’s 2-22-22!! Neat!!! The weather has been lovely and sunny and I’m loving the longer days!! I’m getting excited about spring!! Spring cleaning is underway (slowly but surely), and some kitchen renovations are starting!! I’ll be posting, soon, about the small budget and the process as well as how it all turns out! As I said yesterday, my family and I have been discovering different foods from different cultures and one of the foods on the menu on Sunday was vegan Schnitzel! I wanted to share the recipe as it was so unique and tasty!! It’s made with Celeriac and we love Celeriac!! Hope you’ll give it a try! It was very good!!
2 celeriac roots
olive oil, for frying (I used about a cup, use more if you prefer a deep-fried flavor)
Ingredients for breaded topping:
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour, plus more for dipping celeriac in the flour
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsps coconut aminos
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1 tsp salt & more for after frying, before serving, to taste
- Peel the Celeriac and cut into 1-2″ slices, whatever you prefer. They will cook faster if they’re thinner slices.
- In a shallow but wide bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup flour, water, coconut aminos and pepper. Set aside.
- Place more flour on a plate (about 1/4 cup for dipping). Set aside.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and salt on another plate. Set aside.
- Place oil in large saute pan. Turn on medium high heat.
- Dip the Celeriac slices on both sides first in flour plate, then in bowl mix (may have to spread a bit around with hands or a spoon to cover better), and finally in breadcrumb plate. Making sure to spread and cover well.
- If oil seems hot enough & slightly sizzling, place Celeriac in oil in pan, 4 slices at a time. Flip after a few minutes. After done to golden brown and seems tender, place on a baking sheet or on serving plate. I placed on a baking sheet, so I could place in oven to keep warm while I was cooking other items for dinner. You don’t need to do that. Do another round. Should make about 8 slices.